Monday, October 11, 2010

Florence - a Second Time

We went to Florence, Italy the first weekend in October. It was our second trip there. We had a friend visiting us and wanted to take her there to show her what we love about it. Florence is by far our favorite city in Europe, so far. We still have a list of places to go, so it could eventually be outdone...right now, we think unlikely...but who knows. Florence just has an atmosphere about it that Gene and I absolutely love. Even when it's not the most enjoyable trip (unfortunately, our guest did not feel the same way about the city as we do), like this one was, the city still felt relaxing and we had a good time anyway. We bought a beautiful water color piece of artwork of the Ponte Vecchio bridge. Can't wait to eventually get it framed and up on a wall to remind us of our time in Florence. :) Definitely need to go back to get another one!! Even with the large amount of people on the bridge or in that immediate area, it still has a relaxing and calming feeling about it and I can feel like I'm alone in the crowd and just be at peace there. We also found an absolutely, amazing, hole in the wall, pizza place near the bridge...Gene and I both got different types of pizza, but were just totally blown away by how good the pizza was!! I was not even full when I finished the entire pizza...I could have ordered more, but our guest was ready to leave...so that was all the pizza we had. Definitely need to go back to eat more!! We also made it up to the hill/plaza at the top of the city to look down on the River Arno, Ponte Vecchio and the Duomo. Amazing view!! We were on the hop on/off bus and only had 30 minutes there. Definitely need to go back and spend more time there!! We had some wonderful gelato...Gene's HUGE cup of flavors was 15 EUR on its own though!! Definitely need to go back there, but not spend so much!! And, that was after he had a bowl of Zuppa Tuscana (not even close to Olive Garden's) and a HUGE Florentine steak that covered an entire plate.

On Sunday, we went to the town near Florence call Fiesole. It sat on the mountain side near Florence and had a great view looking down on the entire city. We just wish that it would have been a clear morning/day. It was foggy/smoggy (not really sure which). Check out some of the pictures, which should be posted soon. I found a beautiful purple purse and wallet (my purple wallet was falling apart since I've had it and used it for a long time) at the top of the town. Amazing deal on it too! :) Definitely need to go back and find more deals before we come home!! ;) Any requests?! Alex?!

And a few other reasons that we both agree on why we definitely need to go back...to take a cooking class (or classes) and learn to make authentic Italian pastas and sauces from scratch (although I really don't like to cook much...still would be fun), to spend time in and see the amazingly beautiful Tuscan country side, to just eat more gelato and pizza and look for more great artwork to add to our European collection! :) Need to find some time to fit it into our long list of "must-see" places!!!! Anyone care to join us? You must be positive, open-minded, willing to experience a lot and be able to walk Florence and hopefully the hills of Tuscany with us. :)

No comments: