Ang actually posted something utilizing my Facebook account the other day so I am here posting something on our blog which, for those who regularly read this, is usually Ang's forum for sounding off or keeping friends and family up to date. What major life event has caused me to type a post here, thus adding me to the realm of the drive-by blogger?
Buying a bible.
I have a godchild (Alex) whom is reaching the age and time of her life in which she gets confirmed in church. I have honestly been planning on buying her own bible to mark the occasion (like my Aunt Judi did for me some 20 years ago) not long after she was baptised yet am just now getting around to purchasing it and having it shipped home to be ready for the special day. Why the long wait? I wanted to get nice one with her name and date of confirmation embossed on the front cover, which is hard to do when the confirmation date won't be known until years in the future.
So here I am, looking at a computer screen, searching for a bible but have learned the bible I've known has went the way of shampoo and coffee. There is no bible anymore. There are NKJV, giant print, center-column reference bibles with end of verse references, frizz control and extra foam...well, not frizz control and extra foam but you get the jist. Frustrating it is trying to find something that should be so simple to get hold of and also no person should be cussing this much when searching for the word of God. I miss the days when there was less options, well, less options regarding the things that annoy me right now. Do I need frizz management? Do I give a damn? No. I just want the blank white bottle I see on tv that says "Shampoo". I have used the Gibbs' line over here at the coffee shops when they ask "What do you want in your coffee?" My response..."Coffee".
Sure reference points of how each passage of the bible may relate to your life or how one verse is connected to other verses in the bible is fine and dandy but slap something like that at the end of the book and leave the body of the book alone. I just feel the books with all the extra info is like going to the movies with people who already see the film. They just talk through the whole thing, making references to parts of the movie you haven't seen or other things while all along you just want to see the film for the first time. During movie. Annoying. After the movie is done and you want to break it down further. Ok. Same way with the bible. Maybe I don't want some publishing company telling my godkid how the bible is interconnected within itself. Maybe I want her to discover that on her own. Just her and the words. Later on, if she wants, she can flip to the back of the book to use the shortcut to the guidance she is looking for but, moreso, not be distracted by the hundreds of directional arrows while looking on her own.
Hemmingway, the search continues. I will find the right one. Hopefully she'll like it. I really hope she won't have to turn to it too often in life but finds comfort that it is there for her whenever she needs help or guidance, just like me.
No comments:
Post a Comment