Saturday, February 6, 2010

India

Well, I've been back in Switzerland for a little more than 24 hours now. I do have to say that while I did actually enjoy my trip to Delhi, it's not really a place I would EVER want to live.

The traffic made Paris actually look easy to drive in, which was someplace I have never considered driving.
First, they drive on the opposite side of the road since they were a British colony.
Second, there appears to be no rules to the road...locals say there is actually order in the chaos, but I don't see it AT ALL. You first have to have a constant hand on the horn. To me there is no reason for the horn, other than to blare it at all times whenever possible as it really doesn't help or stop anything from happening.
Then, the lines really don't mean anything, nor do the stop signs/lights...unless there may be a traffic "cop" there forcing people to stop. But that "cop" is highly underpaid because they take their life in their hands every second they stand in the road. It's really scary when they cross into the other side of the traffic and play chicken with the traffic coming the other way.
Then, the types of vehicles or modes of transportation is so wide ranging that it just blows your mind.
These little green and yellow "tok-toks" are basically three-wheeled, tin can enclosed, electric golf carts that serve as taxis that they cram in as many people as possible to cut down on costs for everyone riding. I seriously saw some with 10 people in them, when maybe 3 would be comfortable.
Then, you have every type of car known to man, as all of our trash and junk ends up in India it seems. Plus, India is where the prototypes of cars and all unknown brands of cars start at...or so it appears to me.
You have your 1950's bicycles and motorcycles/scooters. People riding horses or just walking in the middle of traffic.
The buses are another site. They all say "the world's best energy efficient bus line". HA!!!! With the bus being built in the 1950's, I don't think they are that "efficient", especially with the black smoke pluming out the end of it. Don't even think about riding one during the morning or night rush hour time. You can't stand or sit.
And, then you have your big trucks of all kinds too. Oh and don't forget tractors, push carts, or basically ANYTHING that they can think of to commute on/in.
Whatever they are riding on, they then have to contend with the disrepair of the roads. They are somewhat paved. But, you can bet on most of the side roads being dirt and most roads have HUGE pot holes that can swallow up small/medium sized cars. Most roads also have routine speed bumps to keep the traffic speed at a minimum in town.
Then, you have to watch out for the other road "disruptions"....cows, donkeys, pigs or other animals...apparently elephants are known to be in the roads, but I didn't get to see any. Just the mentioned cows, pigs, and donkeys.
So, that was just the traffic....I got a headache every day from the driving to/from work. I took pictures (that I will post), but you really can't get a feel for it unless you are there in the midst of it. It is SO unlike anything we have ever experienced.
OH...and I know understand why taxi drivers in the US that are from this region of the world have all the decorations in the cars (pictures of Hindu gods, beads, feather boas, etc)...they ALL have it over here too. It's hilarious.

The other side of India is the total disproportionate society between the rich and poor. Next to the hotel, which was nice for India, was a huge area where homeless people slept and worked. It was so sad. They have their tents and put them up against another building to have somewhat of a shelter built. They are all walking around barefoot or with the thinnest sandals known to man on. All have dirty clothes and obvious health problems. It definitely makes me happy and thankful for what we have. As I mentioned above, it seemed to me that all of our discarded, old "trash" ends up in India. The markets are filled with old books, electronics, clothes, shoes, basically whatever they can get their hands on. And, they are selling it to the locals.

Overall, I had an enjoyable experience. My mouth was on fire most of the time there but I didn't get sick like most of my other co-workers did (Delhi belly as they called it)!! :) The food was not my favorite, but I managed. Luckily, I brought snacks with me.

No comments: