Thursday, May 13, 2010

The other side of traveling

This week I had the pleasure of my luggage getting lost for the first time in 9 years of traveling for work. I guess I should consider myself lucky. But...man is that inconvenient. It technically wasn't ever lost, just didn't make the flight I was on. My first flight was delayed. We had 15 minutes to make our connection, which we did. As we were walking down the jetway to get onto the plane, my coworker said "I hope our luggage makes it". I just laughed and said "No problem, we made it, I'm sure our luggage will". HA! Jinxed myself I guess. Her luggage did, but mine did not. They sent it on a flight later the same day. However, the airport was so busy that they did not get it to the hotel until almost 24 hours after I landed. The airlines here in Europe reimburse passengers for items they buy when their luggage is lost. :) I had to run to the store and buy pajamas and clothes for the next day. Plus, I had to buy shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. Spent 200 Euro, which would be about $280. And, I didn't buy anything expensive. They just don't have Wal-Mart prices here. I got back to the hotel that evening and realized I forgot a brush. They don't have stores that stay open 24 hours either, so I had to use the hotel provided comb, which is not easy to get through my hair!!! It was bad being without my medicines too. My allergies have been killing me lately and wow...more than 24 hours without it is not good! But, I ran back to the hotel at lunch time and got everything I need, took my meds and was set. Now I plan on leaving my "spare" supplies here at the office in case it happens again, well, except for the clothes.

No comments: