Monday, March 18, 2013

FMLA Awareness

Another bit of awareness that I would like to put out there...

Apparently that 12 weeks of leave (plus all of my vacation I had saved up) that I took off from work was technically not allowable per FMLA laws.  However, Dr. O told me it was allowable, she signed the forms the day before she died, and they were approved by the company processing my claims.  So...I was still allowed the time off.  I think it may have been a technicality...they never ask on the forms, nor did they ask me in any way whether Owen lived.  I am a lucky one (in this crappy situation) I guess.  Yes, I did not have Owen to bond with in person or to keep me up at night while he was crying, upset, happy, hungry or whatever he may have been.  But, I am still reeling from the effects of losing him and having those weeks off of work allowed me to get to a somewhat of a better place (if that could ever be said after losing Owen) physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.  If I would have had to go back to work after the standard 6 weeks off after Owen's birth, I would have gone in reverse, I think.  Yes, I was physically able to go back, for the most part after those 6 weeks.  But as of today, more than 6 months later, I can still barely keep my mind on work all day long.  I have to make lists to keep my mind focused.  I routinely forget what I am doing, what I need to do later in the day or in the week.  You hear about pregnancy forgetfulness...this is a million times worse in my mind.  I started a new job when I came back to work and I have a lot of things on my plate with this job...I take more notes now even though most of what I am doing is quite familiar to me.  I use my planner more than I have in the last 4 years.  I think of things very randomly too (as you can read here...so random).  I come home many days and just crash on the couch because I am so mentally exhausted with trying to keep focused at work but also thinking constantly about Owen in the back of my mind.  This is after all the time off that I was lucky to get. 

Currently, there are two bills in congress to amend this law.  I would encourage anyone and everyone to please go out there and support this bill!!! 

This blog has a link to where you can write a letter to congress to support this bill (it is an autofill type letter, but better than nothing!!!):
http://stopstillbirthasap.org/2013/02/09/asap-enews-vol-13-no-2-2/

Where to find info about the bill:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr515
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s226

No comments: