Monday, May 27, 2013

Children and Grief

We don't have any other kids, yet, but we do hope to.  I can guarantee they will know about Owen and their lost brother/sister that we didn't really get to know.  They will want to always know why on certain days of the year I will probably be a wreck, why we go visit the cemetery to see Owen, why for so many things.  They will want to imagine on their own what life would have been like with having an older brother and other things like that. 

The article on Still Standing magazine covered this today...  http://stillstandingmag.com/2013/05/talking-to-children-about-the-loss-of-a-sibling/

I don't think it only relates to siblings though.  Owen has a lot of cousins and I hope that they all know about him.  Growing up, we were close to some of our cousins.  We've drifted apart a lot since then, but I know that as a child I loved being so close to our cousins.  I had hoped for Owen to have that, as well.  Cousins that felt more like siblings.  Most of Owen's cousins knew I was pregnant and were so excited and waiting for the day they could meet him (or her at that time since we didn't know what we were having).  Most of them got to meet Owen at his funeral, so my hope is that they continue to know him the rest of their lives.  I know some definitely will and that makes me so happy.  The others, well, I hope they will learn about him someday.

No comments: