Wednesday, May 29, 2013

perspective

Last night as I was driving home, I drove by a home that had MAJOR storm damage from the storms on Monday.  They had a massive tree in their front yard - about 3 or 4 feet in diameter and who knows how tall it was.  It snapped at the base and fell on their garage and cars (really nice ones).  On my way to work, I had seen an older gentleman sitting on the front porch looking quite defeated.  I felt so bad for him.  On my way home, he was out working in the yard trying to do other minor clean-up.  There were 2 girls on a walk, standing at the edge of the road taking pictures with their cell phones acting very sneaky.  I just wanted to pull over and ask them to stop, just please stop.  Why do you feel the need to torture this guy by taking pictures of what is causing him grief in his life currently...making him feel even worse than he already does about something he had zero control over since the storm really had no warning (and it's not like he could have predicted that massive tree that was clearly not dead/rotting would fall on his garage/cars)?  I was just appalled.  I am not sure that I would have even thought a single thing about it before losing Owen...who knows, maybe I would have.  I feel that my own grief has changed my perspective about other people's grief.  I hope it has...

No comments: