Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Sea Turtles and Rainbows

When we were leaving Hawaii, we checked out of the hotel about 2 pm, but didn't need to be at the airport until about 6:30 or 7 pm.  So, we went back to the golf course and walked the sea front area that had some amazing views we wanted to see more of before we left.  As we were getting ready to leave, I thought the rocks below were being moved by the huge crashing waves coming in to the shore (we had been standing there already about 5 minutes or more and I just noticed this...real observant).  After a few seconds I realized that no...those were turtles and then immediately, I saw more and more of them in the water...splashing around, popping their heads, butts and flippers around and out of the water.  Then, as we kept watching, we noticed more and more sea turtles including baby ones, "teenage" ones and adult ones.  They were filling up the bay.  So amazing!!!  We finally left after about another 10-20 more minutes of watching them.  Gene got some pictures and video (I'll post separately) of them.  He was lucky to get any of them...it was so bright out and they were quite difficult to see and we couldn't tell if any of the pictures really actually did show them or not.  These are a few of the good ones.  After that, we headed to the mall to pick up a t-shirt for someone and some last minute postcards, etc.  I found a postcard of sea turtles and it said if you see a sea turtle that Hawaiians believe it is good luck.
 
Then, on our drive to the airport, Maui decided it didn't want us to leave and it was starting to rain.  As we were driving, Gene noticed a rainbow ahead.  Then, he happened to see the other end of it.  It was a full rainbow in the bay and was SOOO beautiful.  We could see both ends of it right in the bay next to us as we were driving.  I tried to get some pictures (through the bird poop on the window of the car) and I got a video (out the open window).  But, they really don't show the true beauty of the rainbow we saw.  It's quite rare to be able to see a full rainbow and see both ends of it right in front of you.  We were quite lucky. 
 
Some good signs as we were leaving Maui...maybe...I'm still not there in my optimism (my pessimism is at an all time high I think), but I can let it slip in on occasion.
 




No comments: