Friday, January 18, 2013

Pretty HIGH Maintenance Puppy

Buttercup has decided she is even more high maintenance.  We have always said she's one of us because she has allergies.  Poor girl was constantly sneezing and she snores louder than Gene at times.  I thought winter might make it better.  No, no change.  She has been chewing on her feet, which is a sign of allergies.  And, then she also scratches like crazy (and no she doesn't have fleas).  She scratched enough that she caused her nose to bleed and we thought her foot was bleeding too.  Gene took her to the vet.  The foot was not blood...instead it was a yeast infection.  Who knew dogs could get yeast infections in between their toes?!  Guess that her chewing caused it and made it worse since it would be wet.  She has 2 weeks of medicine for that right now.  They recommended more baths (she goes once a month to the groomer for a wash, wax, undercarriage as Gene puts it) and to use shampoo AND conditioner with oatmeal in it.  At least it didn't end in the cone of shame...although, I'm not sure she won't end up having it.  She scratched her nose open the last 3 days when she was home by herself.  For the allergies, they are having us put her on half of a zyrtec and a fish oil pill daily.  If that doesn't seem to take care of it, then it would be testing allergies to food and/or steroid shots.  SO...here's hoping the zyrtec works.  Luckily, I take that already too.  So far so good.  However, the foot thing is not so much.  She was chewing on it tonight and she ended up in the bathtub because her feet were caked in dirt from her playtime outside. 

Luckily, the vet said her ears looked great...one plus.  :)  She at one point had a horrid infection in one ear that just wouldn't go away.  I think her time in the pool caused that one. 

I had some pictures to try and upload, but the link for pictures uploading still is not working...maybe I'll try and figure out a different way to upload them?! 

No comments: