In early February, Gene and I had an appointment with a recommended doctor in town. We got there and ended up waiting for over an hour...apparently he was at the hospital for a delivery and was getting ready to go back over to deliver twins via c-section. We ended up meeting with a midwife from the office, who was just asked to meet with us right at that moment. She asked a lot of questions but didn't have time to really read through my file beforehand (which is quite thick). She was really good, felt comfortable talking with her and left feeling good about the office. We actually did get to see/talk with the doctor in the hallway on his way out to head back to the hospital.
Today, I ended up having another appointment. My body decided to revolt a few weeks ago, so I made an appointment because it has never been like this for me. I just wanted to get some reassurance that my body is still trying to find out what the new normal is now, I think. We actually did get to meet with the doctor today. I was impressed and left feeling better about things. He remembered that we may have met before but briefly. It felt like he had read the main points of my file, but asked lots of questions just to understand. I liked that he understood that we had mixed feelings on not having an answer about Owen's death. He said it was frustrating because by knowing you just know that X caused it and we can do Y to prevent this again. But, because it is not explained he said that the odds of having a crying baby at the end is much higher. I know we've heard the odds before and they can be frustrating that we have the statistics in our lives to begin with, but I felt more reassured this time. He also understands that another baby will never fill that hole left by Owen in our lives and hearts. I really liked that I was even able to get an appointment by just saying my body is going crazy and it's never done this before. I'm sure many other doctor offices would just say to wait a few months and see how things go before they would make an appointment. And, I left there with an appointment in another 3 months just to see where things are with my body. Not a lot of doctors would do that either. He made good small talk too...talked about mushroom hunting. I'm not a huge fan of going anymore (we used to be dragged out to go all the time when we were little...lol) and definitely do not eat them (sooo gross to me). Gene and I both have family that are die hard mushroom hunters, so we could relate to his dad and brother being the same. And, Gene really likes that above the exam table, there are comics taped to the ceiling (although he'll never be the one on that exam table to read them).
Side note...the midwife did recommend a couple of the somewhat newer doctors in the practice as alternatives to the main doctor when we met with her in February. Glad I didn't go with one of them...he was arrested 2 weeks ago for writing fake prescriptions and filling them for personal drug use. So...yeah...he's not there anymore. But, the other doctor has come with good recommendations. Plus the ultrasound tech and a PA in the office are both wives of really good people I know at work. Last week I also got the notice that my old office is done in May. The 2 nurse practitioners are moving to this office I've decided on, too. Not sure where all the other nurses will end up at...I will miss them!
No comments:
Post a Comment